Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Post Shoot Reflection

Miller's Blog

I looked at Miller's photos and I found them really appealing. My favorites were the square, metal and circle pictures because they had great focus and looked at everyday things up close. I think all them followed the rule of simplicity, making the focus point really strong. One thing he could improve on is the lighting in his merger photo, the shadow is on his focus point, and then the background is brightly lit, not making the photo as powerful as it can be. There's also a lot of unnecessary things happening, making the photo confusing to look at. 


1. What challenges did you encounter while trying to get the photos of your first 4 prompts (Square, Metal, Happy, Bowie)

I had a pretty hard time finding an object that met the themes and also incorporating photography elements into it. Also because I only had 15 minutes to shoot, it restricted me from getting all the shots I wanted. 

2. What technical aspects of photography or the assignment in general (focus, framing, holding the camera, etc.) did you find yourself thinking about the most? Provide a specific example of what you did to do this correctly.

I thought about focus the most because if I think it's the most important part, because if your photo is not in focus, it automatically is not a good photo. Most of the time I would actually focus the photo myself (do it manually) because sometimes the camera wouldn't focus on the main point I wanted to shoot. Another aspect I focused on was lighting, because that can make or break a photo. It was hard getting good lighting because it was around 10 in the morning, when the sun is nice and bright, so there would be a lot of unwanted shadows in my photos. 


3. If you could do the assignment again, what would you do differently now that you know some basic rules of photography?


I would do the whole assignment completely different. I would focus more on the rules of photography, because when I was taking my photos I wasn't thinking about it that much and just thinking about the object I wanted to shoot. Then I would hold my camera more stiffly and focus better because some of my photographs came out bad because they weren't focused. 

4. What things would you do the same?


The things that I would do the same would be switching up the position of the camera (holding it vertically and horizontally) because it made my photos more interesting overall because they were all shot differently. Then I would shoot most of my photos outside because I think that outside photography is more pleasant to look at and just interesting and lively. 

5. Finally - go back and edit your blogs with the 4 photos (square, metal, happy, Bowie), tell me what rules of composition (which you just learned about) did you end up actually achieving? Did you have any?


I had multiple rules of composition, but I didn't use all of them. I used simplicity, lines, rule of thirds and balance. In two of my photos I didn't have strong rules of photography (the merger and bowie photo). Those photos I don't like at all but they met the theme so thats why I used to them. But I really like my "happy" photo because it has a strong focus point and balance, and then my "metal' photo uses simplicity and rule of thirds, and my "squares" photo uses simplicity and a little bit of rule of thirds. 

6. Are you interested in shooting those same prompts again, why?


I would really like to redo this assignment because now that I have an idea of what it's 
like, I think I can do a lot better and actually get good photos this time. Also while my partner was taking photos, I noticed so many more things I could photograph. I would defiantly go back to those places and try to get some good photos. I would also explore a little more, to see if I can find more interesting settings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment